"From the outer darkness we came, to stick our sword into your heart!"

Tuesday 7 June 2011

Herald of Xotli - Discussing on Crowd Control

It's about time to write down something on how I would use the Crowd Control now that the new system has been settled.

To summarize the changes from the HoX point of view we can start with these small points:

1) Dread Visage is now 1 second casting time;
2) Word of Command is now 0.5 seconds casting time;
3) Desecrating Essence remained untoched;
4) The innate feat Roots of Hell gives up to 50% resistance to KB (if fully feated) while in demon form;
5) There's a lesser amount of CC around.

The 5 points above should be enough to grant a player an overview on how the Crowd Control works now and how it will affect his own way of using them.

The first thing that becomes clear is that the HoX lost its instant CC, I wrote in the past that CCs like WoC and DV were used mostly for defensive purposes, something like a "oh shit" ability to escape dangerous situation, that is obviously not the same anymore, even though the first impression on it made me scream about the nerf I have to be honest that it was not so if you try to watch it in the greater picture.

The modifies to our CC are now forcing us to play our class more tactically, we have to time properly our CC and we absolutely need to be able to prevent what our opponent will do, movement and positionin is now even more important than it was before and the line between a good HoX and a not good HoX is now even more defined.

If you are able to prevent and react properly you'll survive, else you're dead meat.

Simple as that.

More in detail:

WoC: I'm not using it only to escape anymore. I can't cast it instantly but it's a great tool to be effectively supporting especially when trying to help the flag carrier, in a minigame played yesterday I managed to get our flag carrier out of troubles a couple of time by simply rooting down the chasers with WoC and interrupting their casts and combos with Hellfire breath. I'm alse re-evaluating the role of WoC as a backup CC for when I stun a target, I'm perfectly aware that the stun can be easily removed especially in early stages of a fight, but the process takes at least 1 second and I'm managing to apply the root before my enemy is removing the stun gaining in this way enough time to either land a buffed ToX or to retreat waiting for a better moment to shot it.


DV: This was the ultimate "I need to save my back" cc for the HoX, it isn't so anymore, but even in this case I found it usefull for supporting the team, especially in this new Furian reality I'm noticing that it's really common to have 3 enemies on you trying to burn you down and it's in this case that I use my DV to buy some time for me or my ally to run out, maybe also using WoC as a backup if I believe I've got enough time to stay and cast it (it means more than 60% of my hp).

What comes out from this small analisys is that now the HoX has less "selfish" tools (and that's bad) but has on the other hand of the deal more "teamplay" tools which is not a bad thing after all, it's true that we are maybe a bit forced to play that way, but in the long run it will turn out to be a good thing creating some kind of "mutual aid" behaviour in minigame, and it's always nice to see a guy standing between you and your death just because you saved his back before.

I'm enjoying my "new" role of supporter, and especially in crowded fight when healers and flag carriers are the main focused targets my root or fear or stun can often change the tide of the fight.

It's all about making the habit to this new style, I wouldn't dislike a bit more of survival, but while I wait for it, at least now  I can try to find a new "reason" for my class, and a new role I may like to play.


I hope you enjoyed the read.

Take care.


Arcalimon

No comments:

Post a Comment